Erepublikans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Certificate of eRepublik Education

+8
Alan Hammond
StanWephen
Sir Graystar
Ip Lockard
Hassan Pesearn
twaters
Dishmcds
Siobhan Griffin
12 posters

Go down

General Certificate of eRepublik Education Empty General Certificate of eRepublik Education

Post by Siobhan Griffin Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:33 am

For those of you who have been watching the proposals for the First eUk Education System will know there's a vote on the way to establish a Minister for Education. There's been some discussion about what sort of courses might be available, and I put forward my idea for a General Certificate of eRepublik Education.

Maybe have a GCeE (General Certificate of eRepublik Education) which is a fairly simple list of questions, and a sticky locked topic called the GCeE Syllabus that lays out all kinds of information about eRepublik and the eUK, including all the answers - the idea being it's not as involved as the other courses we're discussing, but rather an open-book test that simply proves that the applicant read and understands enough of the syllabus to be an informed eCitizen.

Entirely up to the individuals as to whether they want to sit or not, simply have the reward being 'bragging rights' and something they can list in their manifestos if they see fit.

...and if we can sweet-talk IP or Nel into it, maybe an extra tag under our forumaddies: "GCeE : Yes/No"

It might mean a little more work for the admin though, since whoever we were meant to pm our papers to (MoEd I assume) would read through them and then contact the Admin and have them change over the tags.

Here's my question for one and all - if the Ministry of Education proposal passes and if we go with the idea of having a GCeE (this would be a baseline certification that wouldn't require a teacher or regular classes) as an elective option, what questions should we make sure are asked?
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Number of posts : 670
eLocation : Belfast
Erepublik Username : Siobhan Griffin
E-rep function: : Last Mayor of Belfast, U-Sec MoEd, TUP Member, TBU Manager
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

General Certificate of eRepublik Education Empty Re: General Certificate of eRepublik Education

Post by Dishmcds Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:36 am

Where do eBabies come from? (just kidding, nice post)
Dishmcds
Dishmcds

Number of posts : 4820
eLocation : Liverpool, UK
Erepublik Username : Dishmcds
E-rep function: : Aurum Partner, UK President
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

General Certificate of eRepublik Education Empty Re: General Certificate of eRepublik Education

Post by Siobhan Griffin Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:40 am

I'll start off with a few that occur to me:

Who are the top six parties in the eUK based on member-count?

What are their positions on the political spectrum?

How do you lose wellness?

How can you gain wellness?
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Back to top Go down

Post by twaters Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:53 am

Question 3 is rather contentious.... Could easily be an essay question.
twaters
twaters

Number of posts : 3177
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Hassan Pesearn Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:55 am

No, because every party states their official political spectrum on their party page.
Hassan Pesearn
Hassan Pesearn

Number of posts : 1191
eLocation : London
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ip Lockard Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:17 am

I think twaters is meaning more the 'true' position on the spectrum.

Which comes down to whether you view it lineally (a simple left to right), archaically (no graphing, but a simple noting what it shares and what it does not with other ideologies.) or 2dimensionally (The 'compass' approach, where economy and civil liberty are on two seperate axis).

Whichever method you use draws many different comparisons - for example on the compass (and I don't want ANY reading into this, it's a simple fact from RL that illustrates things well.) Stalin and Hitler are almost aligned on the civil liberty scale, but VASTLY different economically, whereas on the linear model they are polar opposites.

Probably ranted a bit there, but the idea of political spectrum is flawed however you look at it.
Ip Lockard
Ip Lockard
Admin

Number of posts : 2738
eLocation : Newbury/Wokingham UK
Erepublik Username : Ip Lockard
E-rep function: : Minister of Defence.
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Hassan Pesearn Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:57 pm

I understood what he meant, but I was thinking for the purposes of this GCeE
Hassan Pesearn
Hassan Pesearn

Number of posts : 1191
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Graystar Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:07 pm

I like the compass method, its a good way of showing that facism and communism are not entirely opposite.
Sir Graystar
Sir Graystar

Number of posts : 224
eLocation : Cardiff, UK
Erepublik Username : Sir Graystar
E-rep function: : Political Go-Getter
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Griffin Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:46 pm

That's fine, this is exactly the sort of discussion we should go into before assembling the questions. If we're going for the compass method, then an 'official' party representative should do the same test for each party, and its results be put into the syllabus topic.

This is after all the 'official' political spectrum - while some of us may disagree on exactly where the parties lie, this is mostly to give the newcomer an idea of the spectrum, as well as encouraging them to read through the entire syllabus topic.

Any other questions in mind?
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Back to top Go down

Post by StanWephen Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:03 pm

I'm glad to see Belfast Innovation helping us along Very Happy. Since I'm currently gunning for the MoE job, I should throw in some questions. I think its a necessity for someone who wants a GCeE to have some knowledge of the history of the eUK. Something around the lines of:

- Name at least 2 eUK Presidents and give a brief description of one about what they did in power
- Why is Belgian part of the eUK?
- Name at least 4 different ministeral roles, say who is the current minister and describe their job.
StanWephen
StanWephen

Number of posts : 1621
Erepublik Username : Stan Wephen
E-rep function: : Minister of Education
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Griffin Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Remember that all this information should be easily available in a single topic I'm dubbing GCeE Syllabus for now - not necessarily pre-packaged to suit the questions, but so the applicant doesn't have to go scrabbling all over the site looking for it.

Beyond that, I agree - some historical questions would be a very good idea.

Maybe even something for foreign affairs like:

-Who is Victor?

-What are ATLANTIS and PEACE?
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Back to top Go down

Post by StanWephen Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:25 pm

ATLANTIS and Peace are definitely need-to-know topics. Victor is something more specific I think, if someone wanted to get more into depth with country takeovers or regime changes. GCeE sounds pretty good to me, but I'll see what the Education Board wants when I get them together. So, if we agree on some things that should be in the syllabus:

-Basic understanding of how E-republik works (e.g. how wellness works)
-Basic understanding of eUK politics (knowing the top 6 political parties etc)
-A rudimentary grasp of the history of the eUK (past governments, Beglian)
-A basic understanding of foregin affairs (Atlantis and Peace)
StanWephen
StanWephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Griffin Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:30 pm

Sounds like a good four-point plan - the important thing with the GCeE I think is that it be a low-involvement certification. You can do it when you want, in whatever time you have, and once you submit it it's all done and you get your tag.

I know some people have discussed the idea of having courses and classes with lecturers and such, and if that happens I think it would be important to keep the GCeE out of that side of things.

As well as entirely elective, of course.
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Back to top Go down

Post by StanWephen Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Ok, but if you want to go onto higher education, I think the GCeE should be a necessary condition before you can go onto that.
StanWephen
StanWephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Griffin Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:56 pm

To show you're not entirely opposed to the idea of reading before you get into education involving other citizens as lecturers? No argument there ^_^

Plus in political or economic matters, it couldn't hurt to have the certification to at least prove you've actively pursued a grounding in the eUK's situation as a whole Smile

As I mentioned before, I'd leap at being able to do something like this.

But I'm odd like that...
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Hammond Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Nice idea Siobhan, it could help set aside citizens that are commited to the eUK and those that are just casually playing it
Alan Hammond
Alan Hammond

Number of posts : 354
eLocation : N.Ireland, UK
Erepublik Username : Alan Hammond
E-rep function: : TUP Vice President, Congressman for N.Ireland, Zycon Director
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryGFL Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:03 pm

I also really likt the general idea. Hopefully teh MoE thats is Minsiter of Eductaion will be approved of soon. Then we can really get this started. And as you said i would be nice if there was an additional thing on the forums profiles maybe a gcee badge or justa as you sugested a small passed yes/no
jerryGFL
jerryGFL

Number of posts : 2152
eLocation : Edinburgh
Erepublik Username : jerryGFL
E-rep function: : UKRP PP, Congressman, Health Minister, Platinum Founder, exUK VP
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:47 pm

Some random questions:

-How do you become a soldier and fight
-What are the branches of the military in the eUK
-Which party is in power, and since when
-Some recent policies that have been passed (to show you read what goes on in the House of Commons)
Taytaz
Taytaz

Number of posts : 3846
eLocation : New South Wales, Australia
Erepublik Username : Taytaz
E-rep function: : Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs, PCP Congressman, Commander of Australian Defence Force
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by StanWephen Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:05 am

1 - Becoming a soldier is easy enough, you just train. Joining the army is another matter - at strength 3 you can become a reserve, at strength 4 you can become a paratrooper, and you need to pm the approperiate people.
2 - Reserves (at least strength 3), the homeland defence, only called into action in the event of an invasion
Paratroopers (at least strength 4), the elite troops who fight abroad for our interests
3 - UKRP is currently in power since the start of the month. Before then, for 3 months PCP was in power. Then it was TUP for one month, then UKRP for all the months before that.
4- ><

I just realised that you wern't actually asking these questions, you wanted to add them to the test! lol, well, at least I know I'll pass it Razz
StanWephen
StanWephen

Back to top Go down

Post by tim09 Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:06 am

lol I did the same thing Stan, almost word for word. Then i checked the post. So i didn't post
tim09
tim09

Number of posts : 3314
eLocation : Sydney, Australia (Oxford in game)
Erepublik Username : Tim09
E-rep function: : MoFA, PCP member, GM of the PI, co-manager of True Blue Holdings
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:03 am

It occurs to me that I phrased those as an actual question, I was actually suggesting questions for the certificate thingo...but I didn't know some of that stuff anyway, so thanks>
Taytaz
Taytaz

Number of posts : 3846
eLocation : New South Wales, Australia
Erepublik Username : Taytaz
E-rep function: : Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs, PCP Congressman, Commander of Australian Defence Force
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Griffin Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:00 am

Still very good that you posed the questions, Taytaz - Stan is working on the Certification now under the new tag 'CORE' or 'GCE' (depending on which day of the week it is) so it's no doubt good for him to get your input here Smile
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Molare Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Im new here, but wanted to say a couple things...

-GCeE should be a first stage 'qualification', and all the info should be easily accessible. I haven't a clue about victor, Peace or Atlantis, but would be able to learn if the information was put in front of me
-GCeE should lead to second stage, perhaps a Certificate of eRepublik Education, which can then lead on to a third stage (Bachelor of eRepublik)
-For the second and third stages, classes, and/or one to one apprenticeship should be the way forward. We should make the higher levels difficult to achieve.
-As a nation, we should have all citizens at least qualified with a GCeE...we are a civilized people after all!

Above all, it is important to have the information readily available for the first stage certificate, but make the others things that you have to learn from a 'teacher/mentor'

And apologies if any of that was irrelevant...

Jacen Molare

Number of posts : 170
Erepublik Username : Jacen Molare
E-rep function: : Congressman for Northern Ireland
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down