Erepublikans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just....insane

+13
tim09
Dishmcds
Siobhan Griffin
Flamur
Enef Freestar
twaters
Big Boy Bulley
widdows9000
Final Destiny
zaney
Free Jack
jerryGFL
Bob Boblo
17 posters

Go down

Just....insane Empty Just....insane

Post by Bob Boblo Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:28 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm
Bob Boblo
Bob Boblo

Number of posts : 2586
eLocation : Newcastle
Erepublik Username : Bob Boblo
E-rep function: : eUKs Resident Anti-War Pansie
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

Just....insane Empty Re: Just....insane

Post by jerryGFL Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:34 pm

wow i personally dont believe in god but wtf is that?
jerryGFL
jerryGFL

Number of posts : 2152
eLocation : Edinburgh
Erepublik Username : jerryGFL
E-rep function: : UKRP PP, Congressman, Health Minister, Platinum Founder, exUK VP
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Free Jack Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:58 pm

im an atheist, but this kind of posterwork is just stupid all it will do is enrage people who although i think those offended will most likely be retarded, still shouldn't stir s*** for the sake of it.
Free Jack
Free Jack

Number of posts : 1225
eLocation : eNottingham
E-rep function: : UYA owner, PCP member, Congressman (2nd Term), MoD apprentice
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by zaney Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:05 pm

I actually like it, something like this would go down very well down here, with plenty of smiles and giggles.

Like Dawkins said: "Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride". Why not use that space to advertise happy living and a non-ideology instead of telling us our only hope is in an imaginary friend?
It's about time the idea of religion is looked at again closely; it's momments like these that indicate the start of a social revolution, one (heavily critisised) step at time untill society can accept that they may just happen to be deluded... and we all know how much we need a social revolution in these stagnating times.
zaney
zaney

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Final Destiny Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:41 am

I like it as well personally. It may outrage some but sometimes you have to upset people. I get Churches cramming leaflets down my throat walking to my lectures. So therefore why can't atheists do the same with a bus.
Final Destiny
Final Destiny

Number of posts : 2297
eLocation : Northern Ireland
Erepublik Username : Final Destiny
E-rep function: : Former President of the United Kingdom.
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by widdows9000 Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:30 am

I agree with FD and Zaney on this.
widdows9000
widdows9000

Number of posts : 4028
eLocation : North East, UK
Erepublik Username : widdows9000
E-rep function: : SHP Manager, Lord, SAS member
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bulley Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:55 am

I was listening to a debate about this on 5 live last night, and i dont see whats wrong!

Whats so different between an atheist and a beliver expressing their views?
Big Boy Bulley
Big Boy Bulley

Number of posts : 3319
eLocation : Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Erepublik Username : Big Boy Bulley
E-rep function: : Aurum Shareholder/Manager/ Financial Manager, Worldwide Merchant.
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by twaters Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:08 am

I don't have a problem with it per se (as a Christian) although it doesn't justify the claim "there is probably no God", and it's very hypocritical of them in a whole plethora of ways. This isn't about freedom of speech. It never has been.

Free Jack wrote:im an atheist, but this kind of posterwork is just stupid all it will do is enrage people who although i think those offended will most likely be retarded, still shouldn't stir s*** for the sake of it.

Hypocrisy here too? Rolling Eyes

Oh and Zaney, why do you just assume that a religious way of living isn't a happy one?

Last edited by twaters on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
twaters
twaters

Number of posts : 3177
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by zaney Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:34 am

I was being literal Smile ...that's the problem with debating using text, it's very difficult to determin different nuances of speaking styles that you normally portray with tone etc.

Litteral as in it is advertising happyness in and of itself, whereas religious advertisement normally advertises happyness as either a payment by god for your faith (or a natural result, debateable). Or the result of a filling in your life that isn't directly related to happyness itself but might not allow for happyness without it (e.g. forgiveness, compassion, protection etc)

I prefer to go with the first, litteral, one; as happyness is nothing more than a flood in your brain of a hormone Smile
zaney
zaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Enef Freestar Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:13 am

What I am surprised by is the asnwers they recieved from the Christian Voice group,

Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large

Exclamation Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Atheism no danger, what has caused more deaths and war, Atheism or religion? Laughing

I love the Methodist response though Razz

However the Methodist Church said it thanked Professor Dawkins for encouraging a "continued interest in God".

That is great lol! yourock
Enef Freestar
Enef Freestar

Number of posts : 294
eLocation : Yorkshire & Holderness
Erepublik Username : Enef Freestar
E-rep function: : TUP member, Sgt. Squad B5 Royal Guard,
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamur Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:46 am

tl;dr comments but yes, I like it.
Flamur
Flamur

Number of posts : 2815
Erepublik Username : Flamur
E-rep function: : MDU Member, Paratrooper CO, eUK Elites Member, Ex-Reserve Troop CO.
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by twaters Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Enef Freestar wrote:What I am surprised by is the asnwers they recieved from the Christian Voice group,

Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large

Exclamation Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Atheism no danger, what has caused more deaths and war, Atheism or religion?

In the 20th Century, since the advent of atheism based states? Probably atheism. Also, if you take into account the motives of the people causing these wars/deaths, i'd say it's not too greatly, if at all, in atheism's favour.
twaters
twaters

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Griffin Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:50 pm

Religion can inspire, religion can kill.

Atheists can be inspiring, atheists can kill.

It's really the nature of the person, not the doctrine they choose to follow.

Yes, people who were religious have (in the past) caused deaths and war but realistically the wars would have happened for another reason if they'd had to - see the Teutonic Crusades for example.

Blaming religion for the sins of the religious is like saying the devil made you do it.
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Number of posts : 670
eLocation : Belfast
Erepublik Username : Siobhan Griffin
E-rep function: : Last Mayor of Belfast, U-Sec MoEd, TUP Member, TBU Manager
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dishmcds Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:51 pm

Gawd. We can have religion. We can have sin. We can have atheism. Comparing them to each other is like asking why your potato plant wasnt growing apples.
Dishmcds
Dishmcds

Number of posts : 4820
eLocation : Liverpool, UK
Erepublik Username : Dishmcds
E-rep function: : Aurum Partner, UK President
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by twaters Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:54 pm

zaney wrote:Litteral as in it is advertising happyness in and of itself, whereas religious advertisement normally advertises happyness as either a payment by god for your faith (or a natural result, debateable).
I prefer to go with the first, litteral, one; as happyness is nothing more than a flood in your brain of a hormone Smile

Ummm? Not a theologically sound statement. And i question the truth of your comment about hormones too.
twaters
twaters

Back to top Go down

Post by tim09 Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Religion is not the cause of war, it is the excuse.

Coming from a christian over here.
tim09
tim09

Number of posts : 3314
eLocation : Sydney, Australia (Oxford in game)
Erepublik Username : Tim09
E-rep function: : MoFA, PCP member, GM of the PI, co-manager of True Blue Holdings
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by zaney Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:56 pm

twaters, that's why I added the brackets, I knew you would be uncomfortable with that statement you put in bold.

And the comment about happyness: It is entirely true. It is the same reason taking MDMA makes you feel 'love' and 'happyness'... The same reason they cure depression with hormone balances and endorphine/seritonin boosters or receptor enhancers. Your brain is a series of chemical and electrical (RE)actions and while a soul is debateable...emotions themselves have been utterly proven to be physical.
Of course it's bad practice of me to say all this without providing sources, but i'm a bit swamped with tafe and erepublik work at the momment Sad
zaney
zaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Siobhan Griffin wrote:Religion can inspire, religion can kill.

Atheists can be inspiring, atheists can kill.

It's really the nature of the person, not the doctrine they choose to follow.

Yes, people who were religious have (in the past) caused deaths and war but realistically the wars would have happened for another reason if they'd had to - see the Teutonic Crusades for example.

Blaming religion for the sins of the religious is like saying the devil made you do it.
Exactly, I'm not a strict Catholic, but Religion can play an important part, not everybody has to be a born-again Evangelist...Religion is just like any moral code...
Also, Religion is an excuse for war, that happen anyway like we have seen with many places, the name of Religion has been used to disguise grabs for power, land and money
Taytaz
Taytaz

Number of posts : 3846
eLocation : New South Wales, Australia
Erepublik Username : Taytaz
E-rep function: : Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs, PCP Congressman, Commander of Australian Defence Force
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Tecchi Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:56 pm

I dont think as many people wouldve fought in such a war (the 3 holy crusades in jerusalem) if it wasnt for religious purposes.
All parties (The Turks, Saracens and European Catholics) all fought in those wars because Jerusalem was a major symbol of each party's religion.

True, they would've found another reason to fight.. but there wouldnt've been such an immense amount of supporters for each aprty united under one common cause.. religion.

My two cents. Roman Catholic here, but im a man of science lol Wink
Tecchi
Tecchi

Number of posts : 217
eLocation : Leeds, UK
Erepublik Username : Tecchi
E-rep function: : PCP Junior Director of Recruitment
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Well, I personally support science...so does the majority of the official Roman Catholic Church...it's the weird evangelist Hicks from Cult Christian groups that are always complaining...my favourite is the site called anti-spore
Taytaz
Taytaz

Number of posts : 3846
eLocation : New South Wales, Australia
Erepublik Username : Taytaz
E-rep function: : Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs, PCP Congressman, Commander of Australian Defence Force
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mephit Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:40 am

Tecchi wrote:True, they would've found another reason to fight.. but there wouldnt've been such an immense amount of supporters for each aprty united under one common cause.. religion.
Catholics in the Middle Ages didn't restrict their Crusades to just fighting non-Christians, they had at least one pretty bloody one on their own soil. Sad
Mephit
Mephit

Number of posts : 519
eLocation : Oxford (RL: Reading)
Erepublik Username : Mephit
E-rep function: : Comrade Citizen
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Siobhan Griffin Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:32 am

Teutonic Crusade, the Crusade continued on for bloody years even after the 'heathens' actually converted to the Christian faith.

Oops?

And as for the wars over Jerusalem, it was one of the richest cities in the known world, while also having all kinds of religious pretexts for attacking it (as opposed to the very well defended Orthodox Christian Byzantium... which they sacked at one point anyway).

Then we have the Inquisition - a true example of the horrors of religious fanaticism... sorta. Except somehow what began as genuine inquiry became more and more torture and horror (and death) as the ramifications of the teensy little codicil awarding the property of the deceased 'heretic' to the Church - more accurately to the Inquisition, and fair tithe of it to the Inquisitor who carried out the questioning.

The pre-Torquemada Spanish Inquisitional Office actually received a tongue-lashing over it.

All kinds of evils have been and are carried out under the mantle of religion - I actually think it's a good idea to have the ads, as it encourages people to think about religion, whether they believe or not.
Siobhan Griffin
Siobhan Griffin

Number of posts : 670
Erepublik Username : Siobhan Griffin
E-rep function: : Last Mayor of Belfast, U-Sec MoEd, TUP Member, TBU Manager
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by patti11 Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:33 am

well sed sio
patti11
patti11

Number of posts : 556
Erepublik Username : Patti11
E-rep function: : B-T Industries, Owner
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Tecchi Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:43 am

Kudos for Sio's post!
...this forum needs a Kudos system.
Tecchi
Tecchi

Number of posts : 217
eLocation : Leeds, UK
Erepublik Username : Tecchi
E-rep function: : PCP Junior Director of Recruitment
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Mephit Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:28 am

I was actually thinking of this one. That said, organised anything has flaws so it isn't like religion is unique in this regard.
Mephit
Mephit

Number of posts : 519
eLocation : Oxford (RL: Reading)
Erepublik Username : Mephit
E-rep function: : Comrade Citizen
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down