Erepublikans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing real monopoly outside the UK

+9
tim09
Alex Steiner
Tecchi
eadie
Ip Lockard
jerryGFL
Mephit
Json
Taytaz
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Playing real monopoly outside the UK Empty Playing real monopoly outside the UK

Post by Taytaz Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:13 am

Has anybody tried this...its very hard. I've lived in Australia all my life, so i don't see why this is the case, but hardly anyone I know has any idea of how to pronounce place names in England, it is brought together nicely with Monopoly...mostly Leicester Square, is pronounce LE-Cester everytime. Other places are constantly out of wack (wierd word), like Chiswick, Gloucester, Northumberland, anything ending with -shire, Norwich...this list continues...
...this is a bit of a nonsense thread, but does anybody else notice this, and those of you within the UK, do you all know how to pronounce everything??? Razz , some of the pronounciation seems sort of unnecessary
Taytaz
Taytaz

Number of posts : 3846
eLocation : New South Wales, Australia
Erepublik Username : Taytaz
E-rep function: : Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs, PCP Congressman, Commander of Australian Defence Force
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Playing real monopoly outside the UK Empty Re: Playing real monopoly outside the UK

Post by Json Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:23 am

From an outsiders point of view I can say that a lot of the place names in the UK are weirdly spelled and people from outside the UK wont really know how they are pronounced. It usually the names where there are silent letters that are hard to know.

Its the same with "Quay" how the heck will anyone not English know how to pronounce that? "kway"? Very Happy

haha, good thread though, fandabydozy even Smile

// Json
Json
Json

Number of posts : 944
eLocation : United Kingdom
Erepublik Username : Json
E-rep function: : Nooblet
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.auruminternational.info/

Back to top Go down

Playing real monopoly outside the UK Empty Re: Playing real monopoly outside the UK

Post by Taytaz Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:27 am

English is the 2nd weirdest language imo, it goes:

1. Clingon
2. English
3. German, if just for the pronunciation

quay, its a French derivative (im pretty sure), so is Eskimo, comes from Esquimaux (but ur not allowed to say it anymore) affraid
Taytaz
Taytaz

E-rep function: : Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs, PCP Congressman, Commander of Australian Defence Force

Back to top Go down

Post by Mephit Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:29 am

I've always wondered: do editions of Monopoly abroad use country appropiate equivalents or are you stuck with the streets of London?
Mephit
Mephit

Number of posts : 519
eLocation : Oxford (RL: Reading)
Erepublik Username : Mephit
E-rep function: : Comrade Citizen
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryGFL Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:31 am

no you usually get your own names....
jerryGFL
jerryGFL

Number of posts : 2152
eLocation : Edinburgh
Erepublik Username : jerryGFL
E-rep function: : UKRP PP, Congressman, Health Minister, Platinum Founder, exUK VP
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ip Lockard Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:42 am

Mephit wrote:I've always wondered: do editions of Monopoly abroad use country appropiate equivalents or are you stuck with the streets of London?

You get your own countries names.

In fact we only ever had an American version of Monopoly at home when I was a kid. Playing the UK version still feels weird.
Ip Lockard
Ip Lockard
Admin

Number of posts : 2738
eLocation : Newbury/Wokingham UK
Erepublik Username : Ip Lockard
E-rep function: : Minister of Defence.
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Json Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:45 am

Bah I had the Swedish version Very Happy

// Json
Json
Json

Number of posts : 944
eLocation : United Kingdom
Erepublik Username : Json
E-rep function: : Nooblet
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.auruminternational.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:50 am

do any other countries have dodgy playing peices, I mean, a koala, you've got to be able to think of something more original than that!!
Taytaz
Taytaz

Back to top Go down

Post by eadie Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:48 am

freneticpanda wrote:Has anybody tried this...its very hard. I've lived in Australia all my life, so i don't see why this is the case, but hardly anyone I know has any idea of how to pronounce place names in England, it is brought together nicely with Monopoly...mostly Leicester Square, is pronounce LE-Cester everytime.

Leicester is strange one, Les-ter, though alot of people who live there say it in just an aweful manner I want to stick sharp instruments into my ears! Have you ever heard of Loughborough? My uncle has lived in Brisbane for about 30 years, hearing my cousins pronounce Loughborough is possibly one of the funniest things you can hear!
eadie
eadie

Number of posts : 405
Erepublik Username : Eadie
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 am

its actually funnier hearing people attenp to pronounce things that are actually pronounced normally, like Manchester. I cracked up when my friend said something like Man-kehr...
Taytaz
Taytaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mephit Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:15 am

Ah, gotta love English. Try explaining to people from abroad the correct way to pronounce Sean Bean. Wink
Mephit
Mephit

Number of posts : 519
eLocation : Oxford (RL: Reading)
Erepublik Username : Mephit
E-rep function: : Comrade Citizen
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:33 am

lol...in Australia, people have reverted to Shaun quite alot...
Taytaz
Taytaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tecchi Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:46 pm

The australian version of monopoly is pretty crappy... Crying or Very sad Wollongong didnt make it onto the board...

Gotta love the original
Tecchi
Tecchi

Number of posts : 217
eLocation : Leeds, UK
Erepublik Username : Tecchi
E-rep function: : PCP Junior Director of Recruitment
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:19 pm

Tecchi wrote:The australian version of monopoly is pretty crappy... Crying or Very sad Wollongong didnt make it onto the board...

Gotta love the original
QFT
Taytaz
Taytaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Steiner Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:14 pm

I've heard Leicester pronounces "lie-chester".
Alex Steiner
Alex Steiner

Number of posts : 546
eLocation : Belfast, and proud of it.
Erepublik Username : Alex Steiner
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by tim09 Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:42 am

Wow for me in AUS the normal one is the UK one. A few people have the Aussie one but i have had two different copies, both of the UK
tim09
tim09

Number of posts : 3314
eLocation : Sydney, Australia (Oxford in game)
Erepublik Username : Tim09
E-rep function: : MoFA, PCP member, GM of the PI, co-manager of True Blue Holdings
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:50 am

I have the UK one, and I had a junior "marinopoly" (idk why)
Taytaz
Taytaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Malcovent Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:09 am

"3. German, if just for the pronunciation"
German Sex, Always sounds angry and violent...

i have the Uk One, but i tend to move onto smalltime gambling with my family, just for shits and giggles ofcourse.
Malcovent
Malcovent

Number of posts : 624
eLocation : Newcastle Upon Tyne
Erepublik Username : Malcovent
E-rep function: : General Fighter, Writer, House Maker,
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by forkboy Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:34 pm

freneticpanda wrote:English is the 2nd weirdest language imo, it goes:

1. Clingon
2. English
3. German, if just for the pronunciation
Pfft, try your head around Finnish or Basque, probably the 2 roughest European languages. And then there is still Hungarian & Polish, they make German seem like a cake walk!

forkboy

Number of posts : 142
eLocation : eEdinburgh
Erepublik Username : forkboy
E-rep function: : PCP Member, WIU Member
Registration date : 2008-09-13

http://www.last.fm/user/e_r

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:02 am

I meant German as in the weird prononciation of Roman script, but then I suppose Gaelic should win that (though not competely Roman)
Taytaz
Taytaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Marshal Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:35 pm

Hey, this is my 1st post on here (hello all)

Thought i would get involved in this thread lol.
Anyway, introduction over.

I find that naming places with local accents and dialects can throw people. SOmetimes it just seems wierd.

2 examples, the town im from, Walsall, around here its pronounced War-sall

And this just confuses me. Shrewsbury. I pronounce it as its spelled (Shrews-bury)....but you will hear it pronounced countless times as Shrows-bury.....
Lee Marshal
Lee Marshal

Number of posts : 113
eLocation : Black Country, Midlands, UK
E-rep function: : PCP Member
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryGFL Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:33 pm

I find it annoying that in England they change the mane of german places like münchen = munich and stuff liek that
jerryGFL
jerryGFL

E-rep function: : UKRP PP, Congressman, Health Minister, Platinum Founder, exUK VP

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

jerryGFL wrote:I find it annoying that in England they change the mane of german places like münchen = munich and stuff liek that
I know, I really don't see that point, I mean, Munich is no more English than München
Taytaz
Taytaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Boy Bulley Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:34 am

Has anyone seen the new Hull FC monopoly, what a laugh!!
Big Boy Bulley
Big Boy Bulley

Number of posts : 3319
eLocation : Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Erepublik Username : Big Boy Bulley
E-rep function: : Aurum Shareholder/Manager/ Financial Manager, Worldwide Merchant.
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryGFL Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:37 am

you got a photo?
jerryGFL
jerryGFL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next