Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which one?

Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. - Page 2 Vote_lcap32%Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 12 ]
Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 16 ]
Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 37

Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. - Page 2 Empty Re: Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism.

Post by rastari on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:23 am

i'm a Buddhist
rastari
rastari

Number of posts : 2428
eLocation : india
Erepublik Username : rastari
E-rep function: : member of pcp
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. - Page 2 Empty Re: Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism.

Post by avec on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:27 am

This might be off-topic, but it is something I want to ask. If someone did came down from heavens and claimed to be God, would you believe him? What would be the thing that convinced you of his divinity? I wouldn't believe if something landed on Earth and claimed to have created us.

Or in biblical terms, would you take someone as God if he first killed one third of world's population and came to Earth followed by plague, famine and war? This is not meant to offend anyone. I'm just curious about the subject.

Some of this might be answered by the term 'supernatural' i.e. not explainable by our laws of physics (a bit weak definition, I know). But then, how can we interact with anything supernatural?
avec
avec

Number of posts : 37
Erepublik Username : avec
E-rep function: : Cheerleader!
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by patti11 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:39 am

rastari wrote:i'm a Buddhist
Judaism over here
patti11
patti11

Number of posts : 556
eLocation : Belfast
Erepublik Username : Patti11
E-rep function: : B-T Industries, Owner
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Molare on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:46 am

avec wrote:This might be off-topic, but it is something I want to ask. If someone did came down from heavens and claimed to be God, would you believe him? What would be the thing that convinced you of his divinity? I wouldn't believe if something landed on Earth and claimed to have created us.

Or in biblical terms, would you take someone as God if he first killed one third of world's population and came to Earth followed by plague, famine and war? This is not meant to offend anyone. I'm just curious about the subject.

Some of this might be answered by the term 'supernatural' i.e. not explainable by our laws of physics (a bit weak definition, I know). But then, how can we interact with anything supernatural?

For me, the main mode of belief is faith...of course, I would have to ask serious questions of anyone who came down from heaven and performed miracles and who claimed to be God. However, I think every human has a personal 'tipping point'; that moment when something within you resonates with what that person says, and you believe...

I know it is not much of an answer, but I am a big believer in the fact I can't make you believe-you have to get there on your own steam. All I can do is give arguments for or against a belief, but you have to take that step for yourself. And I acknowledge that belief takes a massive leap of faith, but again, thats what it is all about; faith!

Jacen Molare

Number of posts : 170
eLocation : Belfast
Erepublik Username : Jacen Molare
E-rep function: : Congressman for Northern Ireland
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by avec on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:35 am

Jacen Molare wrote:For me, the main mode of belief is faith...of course, I would have to ask serious questions of anyone who came down from heaven and performed miracles and who claimed to be God. However, I think every human has a personal 'tipping point'; that moment when something within you resonates with what that person says, and you believe...

I know it is not much of an answer, but I am a big believer in the fact I can't make you believe-you have to get there on your own steam. All I can do is give arguments for or against a belief, but you have to take that step for yourself. And I acknowledge that belief takes a massive leap of faith, but again, thats what it is all about; faith!

I understand your point. For me however it's not so easy just to believe and have faith. I understand that there might be something beyond our universe and might even believe it but I see not point in it and I certainly do not get any peace of mind from it. In that way I'm a bit jealous to you. There was a study on brain chemistry and it showed that religious people had more certain chemicals in their brain than those who weren't religious. If this is true I think that my brain just isn't attuned to religion. Note, however that the study cannot explain the religiousness itself, it just tips off who might be more attuned to religion and why.
avec
avec

Number of posts : 37
Erepublik Username : avec
E-rep function: : Cheerleader!
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by John Forseti on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:19 am

I had intended to reply yesterday, but things got a bit busy.

standby
John Forseti
John Forseti

Number of posts : 233
eLocation : North East, eUK
Erepublik Username : John Forseti
E-rep function: : Royal Guard Sgt | Unity Party Member
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum