copyrighting

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

copyrighting - Page 2 Empty Re: copyrighting

Post by SKQ62 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:12 pm

rastari wrote:like fox hunting

That's a whole different issue entirely.
SKQ62
SKQ62

Number of posts : 36
eLocation : West Midlands, United Kingdom
Erepublik Username : SKQ62
E-rep function: : Still trying to find my place
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by twaters on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:28 pm

John Forseti wrote:Government research wouldn't be less good or ineffective, but the fact that it was funded from the tax payer's purse would weigh the projects down with tighter scrutiny and so on, making it slower and more expensive. Imagine a fire & brimstone type catholic politician on the stem-cell research committee.

So we should ignore morality in science to make it more efficient?
twaters
twaters

Number of posts : 3177
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Taytaz on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:29 pm

committees should accuratelt represent the demographic of the community
Taytaz
Taytaz

Number of posts : 3846
eLocation : New South Wales, Australia
Erepublik Username : Taytaz
E-rep function: : Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs, PCP Congressman, Commander of Australian Defence Force
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Mobilis on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 pm

I thnk morality and science are a hard thing to work through. Scientists are notorious for working on something and never once asking "is this right?" it is always "can I do it?" I want science reasonably unfettered, but I am petrified they will make genetic manipulation widely available and the de facto way to go in child birth. i shudder at a culture of people who can take thier baby and say "I want them to have green eyes, have the potetnial strength of Arnold Schwarzeneggar, lungs like an olympic swimmer and the mental acuity and disposition of a nobel laureate in physics." It would be wonderful to be able to say "my baby will not have down syndrome, or be crippled for life" but if it was a choice between that and the possibility of genetic super people taking over I'll take handicapped.
Nemo Mobilis
Nemo Mobilis

Number of posts : 341
eLocation : London, eUnited Kingdom
Erepublik Username : Nemo Mobilis
E-rep function: : Sergeant Squad G Royal Navy, UKRP, Writer, Director of Nautilus Press
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by John Forseti on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:34 am

twaters wrote:
John Forseti wrote:Government research wouldn't be less good or ineffective, but the fact that it was funded from the tax payer's purse would weigh the projects down with tighter scrutiny and so on, making it slower and more expensive. Imagine a fire & brimstone type catholic politician on the stem-cell research committee.

So we should ignore morality in science to make it more efficient?

There's a difference between oversight and being outright opposed to the idea.

Nemo Mobilis wrote:I shudder at a culture of people who can take thier baby and say "I want them to have green eyes, have the potetnial strength of Arnold Schwarzeneggar, lungs like an olympic swimmer and the mental acuity and disposition of a nobel laureate in physics." It would be wonderful to be able to say "my baby will not have down syndrome, or be crippled for life" but if it was a choice between that and the possibility of genetic super people taking over I'll take handicapped.

If you made it compulsory then after two or three generations there wouldn't be any genetic super people, as everyone would be a genetic super person. Wouldn't that be nice? Twisted Evil
John Forseti
John Forseti

Number of posts : 233
eLocation : North East, eUK
Erepublik Username : John Forseti
E-rep function: : Royal Guard Sgt | Unity Party Member
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down