A levels

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A levels - Page 2 Empty Re: A levels

Post by mr. brodie on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:48 am

I took GCSEs 2 years early, so we had a choice/were forced to do another language. It was between German or Italian, so I chose Italian. Although the course was s***, and we had a teacher that barely knows English, so I quit.

I'm stuck with doing AS French as well.
mr. brodie
mr. brodie

Number of posts : 3769
Erepublik Username : mr. brodie
E-rep function: : Being awesome?
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by twaters on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:01 pm

At my school they recommend you take 4 AS and drop down to 3 A2s, and they even told me that i shouldn't do as many subjects as i did. I did them anyway... Seriously, they tell you it's a lot of work, but they probably will also tell you that you should work lots at GCSE, and that you should revise for KS3 SATs. It doesn't have to be that much work (although it can be if you want).

If you're naturally good at maths, then you might as well take it. I wouldn't expect you'd find it either time consuming or difficult. As for a law essay, it takes no time at all! You can write a law essay in 2 hours, probably less at A level. I imagine politics would be no difficult.

And Widds, if you're seroiusly considering taking Law at uni, i probably wouldn't bother to do it at A level. I'd probably stick a language in there instead, which would broaden your choices a lot (unis love languages, and it goes well with Law).

Pliped, my GCSEs:

-Separate sciences
-Business studies
-Geography
-German
-English
-Maths
-short course PE
-short course RS
twaters
twaters

Number of posts : 3177
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by widdows9000 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Apparently some universities prefer law uni students not to have studied Law at A level as they want you to start with a clean slate, might just be bullplop but I heard someone say that in class today.

Twaters - I'll be getting a French AS at the end of this year, but I have no intention whatsoever to take that to A2 or do another language at AS, I can't stand Foreign languages for some reason.

Well, we've got a career day coming up soon, this Thursday, at school so I'll explore whether to take 5 ASs on that day, I'm not sure.

I reckon Law and Politics (politics looks incredibly easy looking at the syllabus and textbook) will be a relatively small workload, and so would History (I can write essays dead quick) for me as it's all arguing and evaluating evidence and I enjoy that and I'm good at it. I reckon if I take 5 ASs that I enjoy I would do well... Law is an option at Uni although I'm probably aiming more at biological sciences what with Chem and Bio which I'll take to A2.

Seeing as we're on GCSE's as well:

Science
Science (double award)
I.T
French
Italian
English
Maths
Geography
History
R.S/Citizenship (each worth a half GCSE)

That works out at 11 GCSEs, how many do people normally get, like what's the average?
widdows9000
widdows9000

Number of posts : 4028
eLocation : North East, UK
Erepublik Username : widdows9000
E-rep function: : SHP Manager, Lord, SAS member
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by twaters on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:16 pm

I got 10 GCSEs. Widds, i think that the top unis prefer law students not to have studied law before, (i just asked, and none of the law students here did Law A level).

Widds, even if you don't like languages, i'd say it's still worth doing it. Unis really are very keen on languages.
twaters
twaters

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Boblo on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:49 pm

I do

Maths
Chemistry
History
Eng Lit

although I would have done Spanish or French instead of English if my sixth form ran the course.
Bob Boblo
Bob Boblo

Number of posts : 2586
eLocation : Newcastle
Erepublik Username : Bob Boblo
E-rep function: : eUKs Resident Anti-War Pansie
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Pliped on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm

I only did spanish caus i preferred it to french and i had to do one language
Pliped
Pliped

Number of posts : 410
eLocation : Somewhere in india in a large house in the country side in the sun
Erepublik Username : Pliped
E-rep function: : ex-MP for yorkshire and now eIndian tourist
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by widdows9000 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Well twaters I'm probably going to be doing 5 A levels but I really don't want to do a foreign language and I really want to do Law lol Razz

I'll have a look at some other options. You see the thing is if I take a foreign language I know I'll do crap in it because I won't try and I'll hate it.
widdows9000
widdows9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Deilos on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm doing:

Chemistry
Physics
Maths + Further Maths
Spanish (will get my AS early, at the end of this year, though)

So that's 5, and is the absolute most I would be able to do, at my school you're not even allowed to do 5 unless one is further maths!

Anyway, am I the only person here not planning politics? I want to do it, but it won't fit, and I enjoy all these subjects so much, and they're more relevant to the career I'm almost certain I'll be doing...

TBH, if I weren't doing maths and chemistry, I'd probably do politics and RS.
Deilos
Deilos

Number of posts : 2613
eLocation : North West
E-rep function: : Lord, Battle Monkey
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by MidniteXpress on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm

hell i didn't plan anything till i was about 25, i was too busy having fun

MidniteXpress

Number of posts : 212
eLocation : Left of Denmark, on top of the English
Erepublik Username : MidniteXpress
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Deilos on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:01 pm

lol

I've known for a couple of years that I wanted to do science, it's just the sort of thing that if you're into it, you know you are, really.
Deilos
Deilos

Number of posts : 2613
eLocation : North West
E-rep function: : Lord, Battle Monkey
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by MidniteXpress on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 pm

i did biochemistry for a couple of years then switched to acoustic physics and tech. i also drove a truck for a honey producer...but that's a long story lol

MidniteXpress

Number of posts : 212
eLocation : Left of Denmark, on top of the English
Erepublik Username : MidniteXpress
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Enef Freestar on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:06 am

Hmm I'm hoping of doing 4 AS lvels and then continue with the 4 to A2.

My GCSE's are

Science (triple award)
Maths
Maths Statistics
German
I.C.T
English
English Lit
Geography
History
R.E (I go to a faith school)

So thats 12 for me. Also if I do well in my A levels (Physics, Maths, History. Politics) I hope to do Astro-physics at Uni level (preferably at Leicster). I've already planned all that out Razz hope it doesnt go wrong.
Enef Freestar
Enef Freestar

Number of posts : 294
eLocation : Yorkshire & Holderness
Erepublik Username : Enef Freestar
E-rep function: : TUP member, Sgt. Squad B5 Royal Guard,
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by mr. brodie on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 am

I've not got anything planned as of yet, some get some snazzy job as a Mayor or something Razz

Naa, I'll probably completely F*** up my life, but least it's been half way decent so far Smile
mr. brodie
mr. brodie

Back to top Go down

Post by widdows9000 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:55 am

BBB and Twaters you've both taken 5 right? Jerry as well? How much time did it take, including time at school, a day to get all the work done?
widdows9000
widdows9000

Back to top Go down

Post by rastari on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:07 am

that depends on how much work you put in, quite a lot if you want good grades i found it quite difficult because i didn't want too go to uni and therefore didn't have much motivation
rastari
rastari

Number of posts : 2428
eLocation : india
Erepublik Username : rastari
E-rep function: : member of pcp
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ip Lockard on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:24 am

rastari wrote:that depends on how much work you put in, quite a lot if you want good grades i found it quite difficult because i didn't want too go to uni and therefore didn't have much motivation

Heh, not the only one.
Exactly what I did, ended up taking 3 through to A2, passing them all and then just looking for a job.

3 Years later and I have a job title with 'manager' in it.
You do miss out on the whole 'experience' though, whenever I've been visiting friends at Uni I get a teensy bit regretful. (Until I look at my balance that is Wink)
Ip Lockard
Ip Lockard
Admin

Number of posts : 2738
eLocation : Newbury/Wokingham UK
Erepublik Username : Ip Lockard
E-rep function: : Minister of Defence.
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by twaters on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:45 am

umm, i did a shamefully low amount of work for my A levels, but i would say that, on average, it's easily possible to get by with as little as 2 hours outside of school per day. Obviously this will increase with coursework deadlines and decrease without. But those would be 2 hours of concentrated work, not lazy work. It depends upon your motivation. I'd also say you'd have to spend longer if you aren't naturally gifted at the subjects, and i would reccommend more purely to get into a good work ethic and to stretch yourself if no other reason.
twaters
twaters

Back to top Go down

Post by mr. brodie on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:31 am

I'm probably one of the least motivated people you'll meet, especially if you think that the low motivated do 2 hours a day. I'm not really bothered about where I go after I'm done with school, something will come a long, and I'll be a millionaire in the next few years Wink
mr. brodie
mr. brodie

Back to top Go down

Post by shadow on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:00 am

mr. brodie wrote:I'm not really bothered about where I go after I'm done with school, something will come a long, and I'll be a millionaire in the next few years Wink

*pictures brodie in 5 years as a dirty hermit that's scaring ppl of with a with a sign that says "will prostitute for internet usage"* Laughing
shadow
shadow
Ex-Admin

Number of posts : 2942
Erepublik Username : shadowukcs
E-rep function: : Admin, Aurum founder, UKRP founder, ex-president, ex-mayor, UKCS, Mi-6 founder
Registration date : 2007-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by hammybear on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:35 am

Must have missed this thread when it was started.

mr. brodie wrote:I'm probably one of the least motivated people you'll meet, especially if you think that the low motivated do 2 hours a day. I'm not really bothered about where I go after I'm done with school, something will come a long, and I'll be a millionaire in the next few years Wink

lol brodie you sound exactly like what i was like. But if you plan on doing nothing at AS or A2, expect to be at the bottom of the class. I pissed an A in maths GCSE with no work, took it at A Level and did crap. I got a high E, but anything more will mean you have to work for it.
I saw someone said they were taking maths, physics and chemistry. unless you are 100% sure that's what you want to do in later life don't take them. and don't just take them because you're good at them at GCSE standard because it's completely different. I found physics so boring and the only people that did well at it were the ones who had an unusual level of love for it.
Not to put any of you off or anything, but when you've been there yourself you sorta try to not let other people make the same mistake lol.
History is a good subject to take and i would have carried that on given the choice now.
hammybear
hammybear

Number of posts : 240
eLocation : East Midlands
Erepublik Username : hammybear
E-rep function: : para, trained in weapons
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by widdows9000 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:38 am

hammybear wrote:I pissed an A in maths GCSE with no work, took it at A Level and did crap. I got a high E, but anything more will mean you have to work for it.

Lol, are you sure you aren't my brother in disguise lol? I filled in the application form Friday and decided to take 4 ASs: Chemistry, Biology, History and Politics. Although you can change those options right up to the first two weeks of the new year.
widdows9000
widdows9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Free Jack on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:41 am

I don't take it but many of my friends do and they say chemistry is very very hard. I took maths, further maths, law, physics and History and love em all. History is awesome by the far the best A-level, also this year they dropped all the coursework so although you have a lot to learn it is spread over a long period of time.
Free Jack
Free Jack

Number of posts : 1225
eLocation : eNottingham
E-rep function: : UYA owner, PCP member, Congressman (2nd Term), MoD apprentice
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by widdows9000 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:43 am

I was told by my chemistry teacher that I'm naturally gifted at it and I also got an A and an A* in my Science GCSEs which I took a year early so I reckon I can do it. I got told it was the hardest A level around but I'm up for a challenge. I was thinking of law but seeing as you don't even need it to study law at uni it's just pointless imo. I can't stand Maths or Physics.
widdows9000
widdows9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Stargazer on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:11 am

I'm taking

Computing
Law
Psychology
English Language

At AS-level right now. I can recommend them all apart from English, which is terrible - unfortunately, it's too late to drop it.
Dean Stargazer
Dean Stargazer

Number of posts : 98
eLocation : North-West UK
Erepublik Username : Dean Stargazer
E-rep function: : TUP Member, North-West Congressman
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Eco State on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:12 am

DON'T take chemistry it is the hardest subject by far I got a U at AS and dropped it. But got B's in History, Geography and Biology so is all good.
The Eco State
The Eco State

Number of posts : 128
eLocation : Sweden for a while
Erepublik Username : The Eco State
E-rep function: : Being Ecological friendly to all
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down